Balkestein looking for fresh start

Former Brentford defender Pim Balkestein has shed light on his departure from Griffin Park, admitting he was told he had no future at the club.


 

The Dutch centre-back, 25, completed a move to AFC Wimbledon on Tuesday to become Dons boss Terry Brown’s fifth signing of the summer after being released by Brentford.
 

The Dutchman joined the Bees from Ipswich Town having impressed then-manager Andy Scott during a spell on loan at Griffin Park, but struggled to recapture that form when the move was made permanent.
 

Balkestein helped the Dons to three crucial home wins in six appearances at Kings-meadow last term that went a long way to securing their League Two safety.
 

He has now joined Dons permanently, and revealed  he had been frozen out at the Bees.
 

He said: “I had been training at Brentford for two weeks and played a pre-season game as well. But on Friday they signed another centre-back, a left-footed one as well, and it was clear there was no future for me.


“From last winter, the Brentford manager told me I was not part of his plans.
 

“I tried to do my best, but it was clear that I was not in his mind.
 

“I played a couple of games after I returned from my loan spell with Wimbledon, but it was not to be for me at Brentford.
 

“It was made clear to me that I was not part of Brentford’s plans after they signed another centre-back and it is great for me to get another chance in English football.”

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree