Family poisoned by deadly carbon monoxide fumes in Surbiton

Kingston Guardian: Firefighters swept and ventilated the premises Firefighters swept and ventilated the premises

Five people were taken to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning when fumes from a leaking boiler infected a block of flats in Surbiton.

Residents in flats in Tolworth Rise North called emergency services after they started to feel ill in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Twelve people were evacuated as firefighters swept and ventilated the premises, identifying gases from a heater, used to heat the water in the flats, as the source.

A spokesman from London Fire Brigade said: "Fire fighters arrived at the scene at 12.48am on Sunday morning after calls from residents complaining of feeling ill.

"Twelve people were evacuated and four taken to hospital with suspect carbon monoxide poisoning. The source of the fumes appears to be a leak from boiler."

He advised residents to buy carbon monoxide detectors saying the fumes could be deadly.

A spokeswoman for LAS said: "We were called about 11.30pm on Sunday, July 15, and sent two ambulance crews, a hazardous areas response team and duty officer staff.

"We treated five patients. Three adults and two teenagers were all taken to Kingston hospital feeling unwell, dizzy and nauseous."

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:23am Tue 17 Jul 12

Stephanie Trotter says...

CO-Gas Safety is an independent registered charity and we are based in Surrey. We could help those who have been exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning. Please email office@co-gassafety.
co.uk or ring 01372 466135 or Mob. 07803 088688
CO-Gas Safety is an independent registered charity and we are based in Surrey. We could help those who have been exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning. Please email office@co-gassafety. co.uk or ring 01372 466135 or Mob. 07803 088688 Stephanie Trotter

10:23am Tue 17 Jul 12

Stephanie Trotter says...

CO-Gas Safety is an independent registered charity and we are based in Surrey. We could help those who have been exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning. Please email office@co-gassafety.
co.uk or ring 01372 466135 or Mob. 07803 088688
CO-Gas Safety is an independent registered charity and we are based in Surrey. We could help those who have been exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning. Please email office@co-gassafety. co.uk or ring 01372 466135 or Mob. 07803 088688 Stephanie Trotter

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree