Report this comment
  • "100% agree. These rules are here for a reason and it makes no sense to have greedy developers by passing them!

    My only concern is that the affordable element of the housing is managed correctly to help people get onto the 'housing ladder' (such as it is now), rather than just being given to wastrels for virtually free, people who will then go on to ruin the lives of the people that have paid full price for the other units in the development."
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

Bid to build flats in Berrylands deferred

Bid to build flats in Berrylands deferred

Bid to build flat in Berrylands deferred

Bid to build flat in Berrylands deferred

First published in News

A bid to demolish garages and build flats has been deferred once again amid calls for more affordable homes.

Gillenden Development will meet with Surbiton councillors to discuss concerns over a 16 flat development on South Terrace, Surbiton.

The developers claimed they can only provide one affordable home as they are being hit with about £160,000 in planning costs from Kingston Council and the mayor of London.

But at a neighbourhood meeting last week, councillors raised objections claiming that at least 30 per cent of the development should be given over to affordable housing.

Speaking after the meeting Surbiton councillor Yogan Yoganathan said: “There a lot of young people not able to get on the property ladder and people who are homeless.

"That is our concern and that is why we need cheaper housing for people."

Tom Hickman, director at Gillenden Development said: "We have worked with the council to make sure our proposal was copper bottomed.

"All the plans have been independently assessed by BNP Paribas and looked at thoroughly by council officers."

The meeting has now been rescheduled for June 20 to give residents the chance to lodge formal raise objections.

Initial plans, including three affordable homes, were rejected in January this year amid concerns over the design and scale of the proposed building.

Local Businesses

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree