'Sorry. I panicked': Kingston town centre crash driver says cyclist spooked him

Sorry: Chinese medicine manager Shibo Li apologised after Kingston crash

Sorry: Chinese medicine manager Shibo Li apologised after Kingston crash

First published in News
Last updated
Kingston Guardian: Photograph of the Author by , Senior reporter - 020 8722 6313

A driver whose car mowed down pedestrians and smashed into a bus during Kingston’s rush hour said he panicked after colliding with a cyclist who shouted at him.

A woman, who sustained non-life-threatening leg fractures, was airlifted from Cromwell Road after the crash outside Kingston train station at about 6pm last night.

Two others were injured though not seriously, police said.

A man who had fled war-torn Syria and a woman were taken to Kingston Hospital.

Kingston Guardian:

Last night it was thought the cyclist was hurt but police did not list him this afternoon as one of three people injured.

Shibo Li, 49, the manager of Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture in Fife Road, was at the wheel of the BMW that careered out of Fife Road the wrong way into Clarence Street.

He was also injured and treated in the town centre before spending the next few hours inside his shop.

Mr Li said he lost control of the car after colliding with a cyclist who shouted at him.

He said: “It is really regrettable all this happened. I just wish them to get better quickly and wish them the best. I am very, very sorry.

“I was panicked and lost control of the car.

"It happened really quickly and I didn’t have any time to think about it. I was shocked and shaking."

He said: "Of course I regret. But it is not just my fault.

"He started shouting and caused my panic. I was panicked and lost control of the car.

"I think people cycling, they need to pay due attention. There are too many bicycle people on the road.

"They do not really watch the other people. Sometimes they just come quickly.

"I never expected this would happen to me."

Kingston Guardian:

The road between Kingston train station and the Cappadocia restaurant was taped off and closed for hours while an investigator surveyed and photographed the wreckage.

The bus was driven away at about 10pm.

Comments (25)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:48pm Tue 9 Jul 13

KTSixy says...

A. Cyclist was a woman B. This guys a liar and a serious danger to people on the road. please do better background research before posting one sided stories
A. Cyclist was a woman B. This guys a liar and a serious danger to people on the road. please do better background research before posting one sided stories KTSixy
  • Score: 7

8:51pm Tue 9 Jul 13

HerbieGreen says...

Unbelievable - cyclists don't have a horn to blow so they shout instead. If the driver had crashed into a car and that car had hooted this story wouldn't be concentrating on that smoke screen of an aspect - the idiot drove into a cyclist, lost control and then drove into pedestrians and a bus - the article should concentrate on the driver being a complete and utter menace, and farcical blaming of the cyclist shouting!!
Unbelievable - cyclists don't have a horn to blow so they shout instead. If the driver had crashed into a car and that car had hooted this story wouldn't be concentrating on that smoke screen of an aspect - the idiot drove into a cyclist, lost control and then drove into pedestrians and a bus - the article should concentrate on the driver being a complete and utter menace, and farcical blaming of the cyclist shouting!! HerbieGreen
  • Score: 9

10:14pm Tue 9 Jul 13

Paul_M says...

Your reporting of this story is beyond belief. You say it like it is a serious excuse - "I ran someone over, then I ran some more people over. It was the fault of the first person I ran over"

I hope the magistrate treated this with the contempt it deserves.
Your reporting of this story is beyond belief. You say it like it is a serious excuse - "I ran someone over, then I ran some more people over. It was the fault of the first person I ran over" I hope the magistrate treated this with the contempt it deserves. Paul_M
  • Score: 8

10:15pm Tue 9 Jul 13

Loopylou89 says...

Ok so police don't class this as dangous driving after 3 people where hurt by this man an passengers on a bus had the shock of their life and he took out the wall by the crossing o and the name one way system gives it away it means one way!!!!!!! I can't believe he hasn't bee arrested either!!
Ok so police don't class this as dangous driving after 3 people where hurt by this man an passengers on a bus had the shock of their life and he took out the wall by the crossing o and the name one way system gives it away it means one way!!!!!!! I can't believe he hasn't bee arrested either!! Loopylou89
  • Score: 4

10:24pm Tue 9 Jul 13

Dark_Wolf says...

Perhaps he & reporter should ask why was the cyclist shouting at him? Driving the wrong way, endangering the cyclist which is normally why they shout at drivers!! **** poor reporting.
Perhaps he & reporter should ask why was the cyclist shouting at him? Driving the wrong way, endangering the cyclist which is normally why they shout at drivers!! **** poor reporting. Dark_Wolf
  • Score: 5

10:39pm Tue 9 Jul 13

g in kingston says...

Panicked what was the driver said, after ploughing into people and ending up in a bus.
Went up the wrong way on the one way system.
Pressed the accelerator instead of the brake.
That's complete incompetence, this person shouldn't have had a driving licence in the first place
Panicked what was the driver said, after ploughing into people and ending up in a bus. Went up the wrong way on the one way system. Pressed the accelerator instead of the brake. That's complete incompetence, this person shouldn't have had a driving licence in the first place g in kingston
  • Score: 6

7:59am Wed 10 Jul 13

jungpybarry says...

Cretin. I'll be voicing my opinion via his business address.
Cretin. I'll be voicing my opinion via his business address. jungpybarry
  • Score: 4

8:10am Wed 10 Jul 13

helen59 says...

BAN THIS STUPID MAN NOW....HE SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN GIVEN A DRIVING LICENCE. HE SHOULD ALSO BE PROSECUTED FOR DANGEROUS DRIVING.
BAN THIS STUPID MAN NOW....HE SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN GIVEN A DRIVING LICENCE. HE SHOULD ALSO BE PROSECUTED FOR DANGEROUS DRIVING. helen59
  • Score: 4

8:54am Wed 10 Jul 13

cyclistinkingston says...

A more realistic scenario might read "I was trying to take a short cut through the contraflow bus route to avoid going all of the way round the one-way system because I am familiar with the traffic light sequence in Fife Road!"
To blame the cyclist he hit with his vehicle is callous beyond belief. To have hurt pedestrians and then try to shift the blame is cowardly.
These people whose lives have been affected by this driver's negligence deserve a proper apology not excuses.
A more realistic scenario might read "I was trying to take a short cut through the contraflow bus route to avoid going all of the way round the one-way system because I am familiar with the traffic light sequence in Fife Road!" To blame the cyclist he hit with his vehicle is callous beyond belief. To have hurt pedestrians and then try to shift the blame is cowardly. These people whose lives have been affected by this driver's negligence deserve a proper apology not excuses. cyclistinkingston
  • Score: 7

9:25am Wed 10 Jul 13

Prince Philip says...

"There are too many bicycle people on the road."

With all due respect, **** you Mr Li. There are too many CARS on the road.
"There are too many bicycle people on the road." With all due respect, **** you Mr Li. There are too many CARS on the road. Prince Philip
  • Score: 6

9:30am Wed 10 Jul 13

DB says...

cyclistinkingston wrote:
A more realistic scenario might read "I was trying to take a short cut through the contraflow bus route to avoid going all of the way round the one-way system because I am familiar with the traffic light sequence in Fife Road!" To blame the cyclist he hit with his vehicle is callous beyond belief. To have hurt pedestrians and then try to shift the blame is cowardly. These people whose lives have been affected by this driver's negligence deserve a proper apology not excuses.
Absolutely. The driver works right by this junction so probably uses it every day. He knew that he could not turn right there even if the signs did not make it totally obvious.

I wonder if he has taken the short cut before??
[quote][p][bold]cyclistinkingston[/bold] wrote: A more realistic scenario might read "I was trying to take a short cut through the contraflow bus route to avoid going all of the way round the one-way system because I am familiar with the traffic light sequence in Fife Road!" To blame the cyclist he hit with his vehicle is callous beyond belief. To have hurt pedestrians and then try to shift the blame is cowardly. These people whose lives have been affected by this driver's negligence deserve a proper apology not excuses.[/p][/quote]Absolutely. The driver works right by this junction so probably uses it every day. He knew that he could not turn right there even if the signs did not make it totally obvious. I wonder if he has taken the short cut before?? DB
  • Score: 6

9:32am Wed 10 Jul 13

DB says...

helen59 wrote:
BAN THIS STUPID MAN NOW....HE SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN GIVEN A DRIVING LICENCE. HE SHOULD ALSO BE PROSECUTED FOR DANGEROUS DRIVING.
If we are lucky, he might be banned, but certainly no more.

As I commented on the original thread, our traffic laws punish the effect not the cause of dangerous driving so if no one is killed, no one is punished.

It is a miracle that no one was killed in this incident, but it will make it quite a non-event in the court case.
[quote][p][bold]helen59[/bold] wrote: BAN THIS STUPID MAN NOW....HE SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN GIVEN A DRIVING LICENCE. HE SHOULD ALSO BE PROSECUTED FOR DANGEROUS DRIVING.[/p][/quote]If we are lucky, he might be banned, but certainly no more. As I commented on the original thread, our traffic laws punish the effect not the cause of dangerous driving so if no one is killed, no one is punished. It is a miracle that no one was killed in this incident, but it will make it quite a non-event in the court case. DB
  • Score: 1

9:35am Wed 10 Jul 13

DB says...

Prince Philip wrote:
"There are too many bicycle people on the road." With all due respect, **** you Mr Li. There are too many CARS on the road.
I can't believe that anyone has the never to mow down a cyclist and then claim there are too many of them on the road!

I think that there are too many cars and bikes on our roads with their current safety levels, but removing dangerous drivers like this would certainly go some way to helping things improve.
[quote][p][bold]Prince Philip[/bold] wrote: "There are too many bicycle people on the road." With all due respect, **** you Mr Li. There are too many CARS on the road.[/p][/quote]I can't believe that anyone has the never to mow down a cyclist and then claim there are too many of them on the road! I think that there are too many cars and bikes on our roads with their current safety levels, but removing dangerous drivers like this would certainly go some way to helping things improve. DB
  • Score: 4

10:39am Wed 10 Jul 13

Hove Ex-Pat says...

When interviewed by traffic plod he said, " I Li." PC says, "No, you must tell us the truth. What is your name?"
"I Li." He repeated. PC last seen banging his own head on roof of car & sobbing. From that point it all went downhill.
When interviewed by traffic plod he said, " I Li." PC says, "No, you must tell us the truth. What is your name?" "I Li." He repeated. PC last seen banging his own head on roof of car & sobbing. From that point it all went downhill. Hove Ex-Pat
  • Score: 2

12:03pm Wed 10 Jul 13

SRoute says...

We don't know why the cyclist shouted at him, but cyclists don't shout at drivers for fun, they tend to do it for very good reason, like when a driver is maneuvering without realising the cyclist is there because they're not paying attention. Paying attention at ALL times is something you HAVE to do if you're driving a vehicle, it's not a thing you can opt out of occasionally and think that it's OK. He's lucky he didn't kill anyone. would that still have been the cyclist's fault? If there really are "There are too many bicycle people on the road" why isn't he more used to them being around? Drivers that don't pay attention simply shouldn't be on the road - you're in charge of a potential killing machine for goodness sake!
And more importantly, why on earth was he just left to go back to his shop? He should have been arrested and charged with negligent/dangerous driving, or whatever the equivalent charge is. Take his license away for life.
We don't know why the cyclist shouted at him, but cyclists don't shout at drivers for fun, they tend to do it for very good reason, like when a driver is maneuvering without realising the cyclist is there because they're not paying attention. Paying attention at ALL times is something you HAVE to do if you're driving a vehicle, it's not a thing you can opt out of occasionally and think that it's OK. He's lucky he didn't kill anyone. would that still have been the cyclist's fault? If there really are "There are too many bicycle people on the road" why isn't he more used to them being around? Drivers that don't pay attention simply shouldn't be on the road - you're in charge of a potential killing machine for goodness sake! And more importantly, why on earth was he just left to go back to his shop? He should have been arrested and charged with negligent/dangerous driving, or whatever the equivalent charge is. Take his license away for life. SRoute
  • Score: 4

1:03pm Wed 10 Jul 13

Donostio says...

Charge him and take away his licence.
Charge him and take away his licence. Donostio
  • Score: 3

1:58pm Wed 10 Jul 13

kingstonpaul says...

DB wrote:
cyclistinkingston wrote: A more realistic scenario might read "I was trying to take a short cut through the contraflow bus route to avoid going all of the way round the one-way system because I am familiar with the traffic light sequence in Fife Road!" To blame the cyclist he hit with his vehicle is callous beyond belief. To have hurt pedestrians and then try to shift the blame is cowardly. These people whose lives have been affected by this driver's negligence deserve a proper apology not excuses.
Absolutely. The driver works right by this junction so probably uses it every day. He knew that he could not turn right there even if the signs did not make it totally obvious. I wonder if he has taken the short cut before??
I'm making no excuses for this driver, but guys, you have no no evidence whatsoever that he was trying to sneak through the bus lane. This is idle speculation, typical from tribal cycling zealots who see every car user as a menace to humanity. And before you ask, I'm a car user, a cyclist, a pedestrian and a train/bus user.
[quote][p][bold]DB[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]cyclistinkingston[/bold] wrote: A more realistic scenario might read "I was trying to take a short cut through the contraflow bus route to avoid going all of the way round the one-way system because I am familiar with the traffic light sequence in Fife Road!" To blame the cyclist he hit with his vehicle is callous beyond belief. To have hurt pedestrians and then try to shift the blame is cowardly. These people whose lives have been affected by this driver's negligence deserve a proper apology not excuses.[/p][/quote]Absolutely. The driver works right by this junction so probably uses it every day. He knew that he could not turn right there even if the signs did not make it totally obvious. I wonder if he has taken the short cut before??[/p][/quote]I'm making no excuses for this driver, but guys, you have no no evidence whatsoever that he was trying to sneak through the bus lane. This is idle speculation, typical from tribal cycling zealots who see every car user as a menace to humanity. And before you ask, I'm a car user, a cyclist, a pedestrian and a train/bus user. kingstonpaul
  • Score: -3

2:01pm Wed 10 Jul 13

u9ge says...

What an idiot, I wondered why the town centre was in paralysis the other night. Sadly the police will do nothing here, I know this from my own experience with them. Do consider you can kill a cyclist with a car, drive 90 metres with them on your bonnet and you get a £90 fine. The reporting here is pretty shoddy as well, a few more articles looking at why Surrey County Council have kept John Furey as head of Transport when he's a convicted drunk driver would be a better article instead of victim blaming.
What an idiot, I wondered why the town centre was in paralysis the other night. Sadly the police will do nothing here, I know this from my own experience with them. Do consider you can kill a cyclist with a car, drive 90 metres with them on your bonnet and you get a £90 fine. The reporting here is pretty shoddy as well, a few more articles looking at why Surrey County Council have kept John Furey as head of Transport when he's a convicted drunk driver would be a better article instead of victim blaming. u9ge
  • Score: 3

4:28pm Wed 10 Jul 13

kingstonbloke says...

Only a day or two before this incident I was cycling along Fife road when a car remarkably similar to this one, with a remarkably similar looking driver went the wrong way down Fife Road to zip into the car park (through the no entry at near the station end).

I tried flagging them down thinking they'd made a mistake and didn't know they area, and they made a point of not seeing me.

It was only a moment or two and wouldn't stand up in court, but a check of CCTV around could prove interesting.
Only a day or two before this incident I was cycling along Fife road when a car remarkably similar to this one, with a remarkably similar looking driver went the wrong way down Fife Road to zip into the car park (through the no entry at near the station end). I tried flagging them down thinking they'd made a mistake and didn't know they area, and they made a point of not seeing me. It was only a moment or two and wouldn't stand up in court, but a check of CCTV around could prove interesting. kingstonbloke
  • Score: 5

6:25pm Wed 10 Jul 13

u9ge says...

Does the original article not state he was traveling up the one way street. Is that not the evidence you're after? I am pretty sure the slack journo here could check the local CCTV or quote the police here?
Does the original article not state he was traveling up the one way street. Is that not the evidence you're after? I am pretty sure the slack journo here could check the local CCTV or quote the police here? u9ge
  • Score: 1

9:47pm Wed 10 Jul 13

kingstonbloke says...

u9ge; and does my point not clearly state a similar incident "only a day or two" imply it wasn't the same day?
u9ge; and does my point not clearly state a similar incident "only a day or two" imply it wasn't the same day? kingstonbloke
  • Score: 1

9:38am Thu 11 Jul 13

DB says...

kingstonbloke wrote:
Only a day or two before this incident I was cycling along Fife road when a car remarkably similar to this one, with a remarkably similar looking driver went the wrong way down Fife Road to zip into the car park (through the no entry at near the station end). I tried flagging them down thinking they'd made a mistake and didn't know they area, and they made a point of not seeing me. It was only a moment or two and wouldn't stand up in court, but a check of CCTV around could prove interesting.
That is truly crazy. At least if he tries to cut out of Fife Road the wrong way he cuts off a lot one way system, by turning into Fife Road at the wrong end he cuts off a couple of hundred metres!

As the comment above said, there is no proof that the driver actually did this knowingly, but it seems very suspect to me as he actually works virtually on this junction!
[quote][p][bold]kingstonbloke[/bold] wrote: Only a day or two before this incident I was cycling along Fife road when a car remarkably similar to this one, with a remarkably similar looking driver went the wrong way down Fife Road to zip into the car park (through the no entry at near the station end). I tried flagging them down thinking they'd made a mistake and didn't know they area, and they made a point of not seeing me. It was only a moment or two and wouldn't stand up in court, but a check of CCTV around could prove interesting.[/p][/quote]That is truly crazy. At least if he tries to cut out of Fife Road the wrong way he cuts off a lot one way system, by turning into Fife Road at the wrong end he cuts off a couple of hundred metres! As the comment above said, there is no proof that the driver actually did this knowingly, but it seems very suspect to me as he actually works virtually on this junction! DB
  • Score: 2

1:15pm Thu 11 Jul 13

Regulator says...

"Too many bicycle people on road"...

Whatever he does, Mr Li should avoid driving in Beijing than.
"Too many bicycle people on road"... Whatever he does, Mr Li should avoid driving in Beijing than. Regulator
  • Score: 5

11:44am Mon 15 Jul 13

jdrows says...

Surely this is an absolute joke... This chap has obviously done something wrong be it on purpose or not to cause this cyclist to shout at him and then he blames the cyclist for the fact that he went the wrong way down a one way system ran three people over and hit a bus?!?! And then to say there are too many cyclists on our roads... You shouldn't be publishing this absolute drivel and should be encouraging cycling in Kingston. Shame on you Kingston Guardian
Surely this is an absolute joke... This chap has obviously done something wrong be it on purpose or not to cause this cyclist to shout at him and then he blames the cyclist for the fact that he went the wrong way down a one way system ran three people over and hit a bus?!?! And then to say there are too many cyclists on our roads... You shouldn't be publishing this absolute drivel and should be encouraging cycling in Kingston. Shame on you Kingston Guardian jdrows
  • Score: 6

3:02pm Mon 15 Jul 13

DB says...

jdrows wrote:
Surely this is an absolute joke... This chap has obviously done something wrong be it on purpose or not to cause this cyclist to shout at him and then he blames the cyclist for the fact that he went the wrong way down a one way system ran three people over and hit a bus?!?! And then to say there are too many cyclists on our roads... You shouldn't be publishing this absolute drivel and should be encouraging cycling in Kingston. Shame on you Kingston Guardian
I can't see any problem with what has been published. It is the driver who makes himself look like an idiot for blaming a cyclist when it was clearly he who was in the wrong. The article is just reporting this.

I am not sure it is the job of a local newspaper to encourage cycling or discourage it and even if it is, this article only discourages cycling by illustrating once again how dangerous it is because of the lack of respect shown to cyclists by drivers in general.

As a cyclist, a pedestrian and a driver, I am all for the first two methods of transport to be prioritised of driving, and we'd clearly have less incidents of this type.

However, cycling can be very dangerous itself when done badly and some cyclists need to show a bit more respect themselves. The sun seems to bring out the idiots on all forms of transport. I crossed the Portsmouth Road at a zebra crossing on Sunday only to be almost mown down by a cyclist who refused to stop. About 2 minutes later, I had to jump out of the way of two cyclists riding next to each other on the Queens Promenade with all of it's 'Walk Your Cycle' signs. An aggrieved pedestrian behind me threatened to throw their bikes in the river and I don't think he was on his own in that view.

Cyclists are not always blameless, but I fail to see how the driver in this case can even think about blaming the cyclist for what he did.
[quote][p][bold]jdrows[/bold] wrote: Surely this is an absolute joke... This chap has obviously done something wrong be it on purpose or not to cause this cyclist to shout at him and then he blames the cyclist for the fact that he went the wrong way down a one way system ran three people over and hit a bus?!?! And then to say there are too many cyclists on our roads... You shouldn't be publishing this absolute drivel and should be encouraging cycling in Kingston. Shame on you Kingston Guardian[/p][/quote]I can't see any problem with what has been published. It is the driver who makes himself look like an idiot for blaming a cyclist when it was clearly he who was in the wrong. The article is just reporting this. I am not sure it is the job of a local newspaper to encourage cycling or discourage it and even if it is, this article only discourages cycling by illustrating once again how dangerous it is because of the lack of respect shown to cyclists by drivers in general. As a cyclist, a pedestrian and a driver, I am all for the first two methods of transport to be prioritised of driving, and we'd clearly have less incidents of this type. However, cycling can be very dangerous itself when done badly and some cyclists need to show a bit more respect themselves. The sun seems to bring out the idiots on all forms of transport. I crossed the Portsmouth Road at a zebra crossing on Sunday only to be almost mown down by a cyclist who refused to stop. About 2 minutes later, I had to jump out of the way of two cyclists riding next to each other on the Queens Promenade with all of it's 'Walk Your Cycle' signs. An aggrieved pedestrian behind me threatened to throw their bikes in the river and I don't think he was on his own in that view. Cyclists are not always blameless, but I fail to see how the driver in this case can even think about blaming the cyclist for what he did. DB
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree