Name: Brian Paddick
Party: Liberal Democrat
For the first time in May Londoners will be electing a Mayor who will also be directly responsible for the Metropolitan Police.
I have over 30 years experience of policing in London, including as Borough Commander in Lambeth and in Merton. After the worst riots in a generation last summer, and the damning revelations about the cosy relationship between the Met and News International, we desperately need to restore the public’s trust in the police.
If elected Mayor and London’s “Police and Crime Commissioner”, I would make it my top priority to bring the police and the public together, so that the criminals don’t stand a chance.
We deserve better than the “Punch and Judy” politics that has let down our city for too long.
London needs a Mayor who will listen to the concerns of Londoners, and create a city that is safe and affordable for everyone.
- DECENT HOMES FOR ALL: Brian Paddick will build more affordable housing in London and tackle the issue of unaffordable rent levels and rogue landlords. Liberal Democrats will help young Londoners into jobs and training schemes.
- FARES THAT WORK FOR YOU: A one hour bus ticket would put money back into the pockets of hard working Londoners by not charging bus passengers more than once if they have to change buses on a journey. Brian Paddick has launched plans to make fares fairer by introducing discounts for “early bird” travellers, and bringing back Outer London day Travelcards.
- YOU BREAK IT. YOU FIX IT: Londoners need to know that our justice system is working.
- London Liberal Democrats want to set up a London wide community payback scheme that gives local people a say over what work criminals should be doing in their communities.
- Brian will restore the Police Sergeants cut from local Safer Neighbourhood Teams.